So, this was actually announced back in April, but it was announced so quietly that I missed it. That, and I was eyeballs-deep in a giant pile of thesis papers at the time. But you heard it here first (sort of): There will be another Wicked Years book, and it will be the last in the series.
The book apparently opens with Glinda under house arrest. Well that, at least, is good! I was wondering where Glinda was in “A Lion Among Men.” I hated that book. Maguire can do so much better. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, and I will definitely read the book whenever it comes out.
Find out what I hope happens in the book, after the jump.
1. Absolutely no Mother Yackle. None. She reminds me of Yoda, but with a potty-mouth. This is not a good thing.
2. No Brrr. He might be the most insipid character of all time.
3. Write the Oz characters, and nothing more. Stop inventing characters. Stop trying to bring minor characters from the original series to the forefront. I’m sorry, friend, but you work best when you’re working from characters developed by others. Stick with Glinda.
4. The exception to the above rule is Nor. She is cool. More of her!
5. Bring back Elphaba. Just do it. We know you’re going to.
6. Tell me what the Clock of the Time Dragon is. I want to know. If you just have it vanish, I will be very, very pissed off.
7. NO sex scenes. Absolutely NONE. You are a terrible sex scene writer. I’m sorry. It needs to be said. The worst part of Wicked was the Elphaba/Fiyero sex scene. After I read the terrible kitty-kitty sex in A Lion Among Men, I felt like replacing my eyes with golf-balls so I could never read again.
Other than that…
I believe in you, Gregory! Bad though it was, A Lion Among Men was better than Son of a Witch. May Out of Oz equal the greatness of Wicked, and may it be worth the cost of international shipping which I will have to pay to get it to Việt Nam.